Possibly the simplest burger in the book and incredibly tasty with the portobello mushrooms serving as buns. Vegan and gluten free.
- Yield: 4 burgers
- Olive oil or ghee, for frying
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into rounds
- 8 portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 sweet potato slices (rounds), about 1 inch (30 mm) thick
- Red pepper flakes, for seasoning
- 1 avocado, sliced into rounds
- 1 bunch fresh baby spinach or arugula
- Caramelized Onions
- Walnut Pistou
- Lemony Cashew Cream
How to Make It
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Fry the red bell pepper slices for 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside until assembly.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add another drizzle of olive oil. Place 2 porto-bello mushrooms in the skillet and fry for 1 minute per side. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the skillet and steam the mushrooms for about 2 minutes, turning twice. Remove from the heat.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add another drizzle of olive oil. Place 2 sweet potato slices in the pan and sprinkle with red pepper flakes and salt. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes total, turning, until nicely done.
- Build the burger using the mushrooms as buns and layering with sweet potato, red bell pepper, avocado, spinach, onions, pistou, and Lemony Cashew Cream. Enjoy!