It’s no secret that we have a thing for vegan sandwiches, and this one is our newest favorite. Say hello to a festival of flavors and textures, stuck between two slices of sourdough bread!
- Yield: 6 to 9 sandwiches, 3 cups (540 g) tofu salad
- 1½ teaspoons neutral-flavored oil
- 1 pound (454 g) super firm tofu, cut into ¼-inch (6 mm) cubes
- 1½ teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup (112 g) vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons (30 g) minced red onion
- ¼ cup (30 g) coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 3 tablespoons (11 g) minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons (13 g) minced pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon (4 g) minced soft or oil-packed (rinsed and patted dry) sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced capers
- 1 large or 2 small cloves of garlic, grated or pressed
- ½ teaspoon herbes de Provence or dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- White or black ground pepper
- 12 to 18 slices of vegan sourdough bread or favorite vegan bread, toasted
- Favorite vegan pesto, as needed
How to Make It
- Place the oil in a large skillet and heat on mediumhigh heat. Add the tofu and sauté until lightly browned, stirring often, for about 6 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine, sautéing another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat to let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, walnuts, parsley, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, lemon juice, capers, garlic, herbes de Provence, red pepper flakes, and pepper. Stir the cooled tofu into the mayonnaise mixture. Adjust the seasonings if needed. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight, to let the flavors blend.
- Spread a thin layer of pesto on all bread slices. Place ⅓ cup (60 g) of tofu salad evenly on a slice of bread or as much as will fit on the slice. Be careful not to be too generous, so that the tofu cubes don’t fall out as you eat. Cover with a second slice of bread. Repeat until you run out of ingredients. The yield will vary depending on the size of the sliced bread.
- Leftovers of the salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.