Rajasthan is a North Western Indian state known for palaces, royal cuisine and the vast desert. This daal is a vegan version with authentic flavors.
- 1 cup split yellow pigeon peas ( toor daal) cooked
- 1.5-2 cups water
- 5-6 cloves crushed
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
For the Tadka or Tempering
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing or Asafetida
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 4 cloves whole
- 4 round red chili or any chili
How to Make It
- Add water to cooked toor daal to get a desired consistency.
- Add ground cloves and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes so that the flavor of cloves is infused in the daal.
- Season with salt and sugar to get a hint of sweetness, enough to balance the heat of the cloves.
- For the tadka or tempering – heat oil in a small wok. Add cumin seeds, Asafetida, cloves and red chili in rapid succession. Switch off heat to avoid burning.
- Pour this on the daal carefully and mix it in. Save some for topping the daal.
- Simmer daal for 5 more minutes. Serve garnished with the remaining tadka or tempered oil mixture.
- Serve as part of an Indian meal with roti or rice.