Piri-piri’s perky and piquant citrus notes add a special something to ever-so-slightly-crisp sprouts, which sweeten and mellow as they cook. When you add them to crunchy chestnuts, chewy dried cranberries, pools of melting cheese and fruity cranberry sauce, you have a combination that is impossible to resist.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 5 cups (500 g) Brussels sprouts, halved
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp piri-piri spice mix
- 4 leeks, trimmed and cut into 5-cm/2-inch pieces
- 6¼–7 oz (180–200 g) ready-to-use chestnuts
- 10½ oz (300 g) Reblochon cheese
- ⅓ cup (50 g) dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tbsp cranberry sauce
- fresh rosemary sprigs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C (375˚F) Gas 5. Put the Brussels sprouts into a roasting pan. Drizzle over the oil, add the piri-piri spice mix and toss well until the sprouts are evenly coated. Roast for about 10 minutes, until the sprouts are starting to brown lightly, but are still slightly crunchy.
- Scatter the leeks over the sprouts and cook for another 10 minutes, until everything is nice and golden. Remove the pan from the oven, scatter over the chestnuts and dot with nuggets of Reblochon. Sprinkle over the dried cranberries and the chopped rosemary and return the pan to the oven.
- Cook for a further 5–8 minutes or so, until the cheese is just melting. Transfer to a warm serving platter, add a small spoonful of cranberry sauce here and there and garnish with sprigs of rosemary.