- ¼ cup (60 ml) oil
- 2 tablespoons shaved palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons thick coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 macadamia or candlenut, chopped
- 5 dried chilies, cut into lengths and soaked in warm water, then drained
- 2–5 red finger-length chilies, sliced and deseeded
- ½ in (1 cm) ginger, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons water
How to Make It
- Grind the Spice Paste ingredients to a paste in a mortar or blender, adding a little oil if necessary to keep the blades turning.
- Heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the Spice Paste over medium to high heat for 5 to 7 minutes until fragrant. Add the palm sugar, salt and coconut milk, and bring to a boil. Add the lime juice and shrimp, and cook over high heat for 3 minutes until the shrimp are cooked. Serve with rice.