This is the Vegan with a Vengeance seitan recipe simplified. After publishing that book we got a lot of questions, often asking if one could substitute this, leave out that sometimes just asking how we got to be so beautiful. While we won’t reveal our beauty secrets, we will present you with this bare-bones boiled seitan recipe with clearer directions, simpler ingredients, and just the right amount of seitan for most recipes in this book.
- Yield: 1 pound
- Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ cup cold vegetable broth, purchased or homemade
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or grated on a Microplane grater
- 8 cups cold water plus 3 vegetable bouillon cubes, or 4 cups vegetable broth, purchased or homemade, plus 4 cups water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Mix together the gluten flour and yeast in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together the veggie broth, soy sauce, oil, and garlic. Pour the wet into the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until most of the moisture has been absorbed and the wet ingredients are partially clumped up with the dry ingredients. Use your hands to knead the mixture for about 3 minutes, until the dough is elastic. Divide with a knife into three equal pieces and then knead those pieces in your hand just to stretch them out a bit. Prepare the Broth
- Fill a stockpot with the water, bouillon cubes, and soy sauce and add the wheat gluten pieces. Cover and bring to a boil but watch carefully; you don’t want it to boil for very long, or else the outside of the seitan will be spongy. Try to catch it as soon as it boils and then lower the heat as low as it will go so that it’s at a low simmer.
- Partially cover the pot so that steam can escape and let simmer for an hour, turning the seitan occasionally. Turn off the heat and take the lid off; let sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove the seitan from the broth and place in a strainer until it is cool enough to handle. It is now ready to be sliced up and used. If you have extra seitan, store in the cooking liquid in a tightly covered container.