This Mediterranean-style bean dish is both colorful and flavorful with its spicy, emerald-green arugula, sweet, rich, red cherry tomatoes and tangy goat cheese. I like to serve it with slices of focaccia or olive bread.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- 19 oz oz (540 ml) cans romano beans, drained, rinsed in cold water and drained again
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable stock
- ½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 18 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- crushed chili flakes to taste
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) store-bought or homemade pesto
- 4 cups (750 ml–1 L) baby arugula
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 oz (175 g) soft goat cheese, crumbled
How to Make It
- Place the beans, stock, wine, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, chili flakes and olive oil in your slow cooker and mix to combine. Cover and cook on the low setting for 5 to 6 hours, or until the tomatoes are quite soft.
- Mix in the pesto, arugula and salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, or just until the arugula is wilted. Top the servings of beans with crumbled goat cheese.