- Yield: 30 to 40 small pies
- ½ cup Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large red onions, finely chopped
- 3 large bunches wild fennel, stems trimmed and discarded, feathery leaves chopped, or 2 large fennel bulbs, finely chopped, and 1 cup of fennel fronds, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basic Homemade Phyllo Dough, at room temperature
- Flour or cornstarch, for rolling out the phyllo dough
How to Make It
- In a deep skillet or wide, shallow pan, heat ¼ cup of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and chopped fennel bulb, if using, and cook until wilted, about 8 minutes. Add the fennel leaves.
- (Alternatively, you can blanch them for a few seconds in salted boiling water. Remove and drain thoroughly. Then, add them to the sautéed onions.) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the remaining ¼ cup olive oil.
- Roll out, shape, and bake or fry the pies as directed in “Rolling Out Ikaria’s Little Phyllo Pastries”.