This is the best thing ever. I’ve been quite conservative with the horseradish because I know some people fear it (naming no names, Kaye). So feel free to add more if you want extra kick. I do!
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 smoked mackerel fillets, about 250 g (9 oz) in total
- 4½ oz (125 g) cream cheese or crème fraîche
- 2–4 tsp creamed horseradish
- ½ unwaxed lemon juice and zest, or to taste
- 2 cooked beetroot, about 100 g (31⁄2 oz) in total
- toast or oatcakes
- lemon wedges
How to Make It
- Remove the skin and any bones from the mackerel, and put the flesh in a food processor with the cream cheese or crème fraîche, horseradish, lemon zest, and juice.
- Pulse until you have a pâté of the consistency you prefer.
- Finely chop the beetroot and stir into the pâté to get a beautiful colour. Taste; you may want more lemon juice or more pepper (you probably won’t need more salt). Serve with toast or oatcakes, watercress, and lemon wedges.