This dip is a fresh, homemade take on store-bought hummus that has chopped red pepper and oily herbs in the center. Serve with pita chips and flatbread for dipping or spread on a sandwich with thinly sliced salami, red onion, and crispy lettuce. The dip and sauce can be made up to one day ahead, but don’t top the dip with the sauce until just before serving. And be sure to check the acidity level of the dip and topping before plating. Acid loses some of its oomph as it sits, so if it seems a little bland, stir in a few splashes of vinegar.
- 115.5 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 0.33 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1 garlic clove, chopped and divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted almonds
- 2 teaspoons toasted flax seeds, finely ground in a spice grinder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place the beans, 1⁄3 cup of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of vinegar, and ½ of the garlic clove in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the parsley, almonds, flax seeds, paprika, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, remaining teaspoon of vinegar, and remaining ½ garlic clove in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the dip topped with the parsley sauce.