Inspired by a pavlova-for-a-crowd “slablova” recipe on Food52, we created our own Passover version. Though potato starch is a go-to for Passover baked goods, we found tapioca starch gives better texture here. For a non-Passover occasion, cornstarch makes a beautiful pavlova.
- Yield: 15 Servings
- Total Time: 5 Hours 50 Minutes
- 1½ Tbsp kosher-for-Passover tapioca starch
- 1¾ cups plus 1 Tbsp. superfine sugar, divided
- 8 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ¼ cup chopped or torn fresh basil
- 3 Tbsp kosher-for-Passover white or red balsamic vinegar
- 1¾ cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together tapioca starch and 1¾ cups sugar in a small bowl.
- Beat together egg whites, lemon juice, and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high, and gradually add sugar mixture, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes.
- Spread meringue onto prepared baking sheet in an even layer to form a 13- x 10-inch rectangle. Bake at 250°F until set and firm, about 2 hours and 30 minutes. Turn oven off, and let stand in oven to completely cool, about 3 hours.
- Combine strawberries, basil, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, beat together cream and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream evenly over meringue. Top with strawberry mixture. Serve immediately.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.