The swamps Those dark, damp places that murmur with mysterious sounds and strange animals, giving us goosebumps! Will you have the stomach to sample some Swamp Blob? Who knows what is hiding inside or what it might have swallowed before ending up on your plate.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1¾ oz butter
- 5 sheets brik pastry
- 8 fl oz (1 cup) pouring cream, chilled
- ½ sheet gelatin
- 9 oz cooked red beets
- 1 bunch radishes
- Salt and pepper
- 3½ oz lump fish roe
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place a bowl (to whip the cream) in the refrigerator or freezer to chill.
- Melt the butter. Make 20 cones out of aluminum foil. Lay out the sheets of brik pastry, brush them with the melted butter, then cut each one into four and roll the pieces into horns around the aluminum foil cones, buttered-side inside.
- Bake the cones, seam-side down, for 10 minutes, keeping an eye on them as they cook: the horns should be golden and crispy. Take them out of the oven, carefully remove the aluminum foil, and let them cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream in the chilled bowl until it forms soft peaks.
- Soften the gelatin in a bowl of warm water. Peel the beets and purée them in a food processor. Rinse the radishes, remove the tops and tails, and dice.
- Drain the gelatin and mix it into the puréed beets. Add the whipped cream and fold through until the mixture is a smooth mousse. Add the diced radishes.
- Taste and season lightly with salt and generously with pepper. Fill the cones with the mousse, finishing by adding 1 teaspoon of lump fish roe in each.