- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 large mackerel, cleaned filleted, pinboned and skinned
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Pinch fleur de sel
Pickled Black Radish
- 1 black radish, scrubbed and finely sliced
- 50 g water
- 50 g white wine vinegar
- 50 g white sugar
Cod Roe Puree
- 1 smoked cods roe
- 100 g white bread soaked in milk
- 150-200 ml extra virgin
- olive oil
- ¼ lemon juice
- White pepper
How to Make It
- Once the mackerel has been skinned lay on a clingfilm lined tray and set in the blast freezer for a few minutes to set, with a sharp knife dice the mackerel into 5 mm equal pieces.
- When ready to serve dress with the lime zest, vinegar, soy and oil until the correct taste point is found, season with fleur de sel and taste, fold through the chives. Pickled Black Radish
- When the radish is scrubbed, slice very finely on the mandolin or meat slicer at 1 mm thickness, bring the pickle ingredients to the heat to dissolve and cool, vacuum some pickle with the radish slices for 2 hours. Cod Roe Puree
- Soak the cods roe in warm water to soften, peel off the thin skin and membrane, chop up the roe and add to blender, add the bread but keep back the milk, season with a little white pepper and blend to a smooth paste.
- Slowly incorporate the olive oil being carful to keep the emulsion, if its getting to thick add a little warm milk, continue until you have a smooth unctuous purée, check seasoning and finish with a little lemon juice, pass through a chinois and fridge. Smoked Eel Beignets
- Portion the eel into 3 cm batons.
- Mix the yolks, flours, zest and juice together, season with fleur de sel, mix in the water to form a batter, pass the eel through flour then the batter and fry on 180°C, drain and add a final zest of lime and salt. Pickled Cucumber
- Peel 1 cucumber and cut into 4 pieces, vacuum on high and set in fridge for half a day, when needed take out the vacuum and slice 24 long slices on the mandolin and 24 x 3 cm batons, place into the same pickle liquor as before for 5 minutes and drain, roll the slices and set aside. To Dress
- Pour 2 tablespoons of smoked cod roe purée onto a large flat plate, spread the purée round to a ring, add 3 disks of radish then dress the tartare into 3 piles, top with another slice of radish, drop 3 eel beignets between the disks.
- Top each tartare with a small amount of caviar and sprinkle the pak choy sprouts around, finish the dish with a drizzle of lemon infused oil.