This relish is divine with the Mushroom & Leek Quiche, but you could also use it in place of a hot sauce to pair with other brunch fare like The Big Brekky Skillet or The Best Breakfast Sandwich. It’s even a tasty dip for the Herb-Loaded Sausage Rolls (this page).
- Yield: 1 cup
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 2 cups finely chopped red bell pepper (about 2 peppers)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 onion)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or mustard powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- Sauté the bell pepper and onion in the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and mustard and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, reducing heat to medium-low so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the sugar and vinegar, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Let cool completely before storing in the fridge or serving over warm quiche. Consume within 7 days.