This is our take on meatloaf, again one of those all-time ultimate comfort foods. Most family recipes for meatloaf involve similar basics, though quite a few home recipes call for added breadcrumbs and store-bought ketchup. Much like burgers, this Turkey Loafing recipe is one that you can make your own in so many ways.
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup (125 ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 4 pounds (1.8 kg) ground turkey
- 1 cup (250 ml) Cave Ketchup
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Sauté onions, red pepper (optional) and all spices with coconut oil over medium heat until onions become translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in tomato paste, stock, and Worcestershire sauce.
- In large bowl, crack eggs over your turkey and fold in the onion mix once it has cooled.
- Form the meat mixture into whatever shape suits your fancy, but the traditional loaf will cook evenly. Place on sheet pan or casserole dish, no greasing required.
- Pour your ketchup over the top and bake for about 90 minutes. You’ll want the internal temp at 160°F (70°C) degrees to know that it has cooked all the way through.