- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 wild onions, green onions, or scallions, cut diagonally into ¾-inch pieces
- 2 pounds jerked meat (buffalo, beef, deer, elk, or a combination), cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 large red potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 ears reconstituted dried corn or 1 ear corn, shucked and cut into 1-inch-thick discs
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons New Mexican red chile powder
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
How to Make It
- Heat oil in a Lodge 7-quart cast iron Dutch oven over high heat. Add the onions, and sauté until slightly browned and translucent. Add the meat, and slowly stir until it is seared brown. Add the potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, and corn. Add salt to taste and New Mexican red chile powder. Stir.
- Add the broth. Add a little cold water to the cornmeal, mix to create a paste, then stir into the soup. Slowly simmer for 2 hours.