One of my testers’ favorite brownies.
- Yield: 2 dozen
- ½ cup (125 g) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200 g) superfine sugar
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- 1 cup (175 g) Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 0.33 cup (29 g) unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1½ cups (185 g) Bob’s Red Mill white or brown rice flour
- 0.33 cup (42 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.3 g) baking soda
For Frosting Stripes
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) water
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). To Make the Brownies
- In a large saucepan combine applesauce, oil, sugar, salt, chocolate chips, vanilla, cocoa, and water. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate chips are melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining brownie ingredients. Pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) baking pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until slightly soft in the center and more firm around the edges. Let cool completely To Make the Frosting Stripes
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a bowl and mix together with a whisk. Place frosting in a resealable plastic bag and cut off a small corner. Make frosting stripes across the top of the brownie. Cut into bars.