- Yield: 8 Servings
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) buttermilk • 180 g (6 oz/1½ cups) self-raising flour
- 0.5 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large courgette (zucchini), grated
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
How to Make It
- Fill the cup of your blender in the order opposite, leaving out roughly half the courgette and not including the oil. Blitz for 10 seconds or so, shake the cup and blitz again, repeating until you have a thick batter. Add the rest of the courgette and stir.
- Warm a non-stick frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat for a few minutes, add a little oil and swirl it around the pan before starting with your first fritter. Dollop a 10 cm (4 in) mound of batter into the pan and leave to cook until the base has browned to a golden crust, around 2 minutes, then flip the fritter over and cook the other side. Repeat until you have used up all of the batter, adding more oil as necessary.