This smoothie became a staple one fall when there was an excess of kale in the garden at the same time that the apples started falling from the trees. I picked kale by the truckload and made as much apple cider as I could handle. (The downside? Cleaning the juicer.) I always like to add protein to my smoothies in this case, nut butter and flax seeds so they keep me full. I can have one of these in the morning and not be hungry again until late afternoon!
- Yield: 1 Serving
- 2 packed cups torn kale leaves (about 4 leaves)
- ¾ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup Toasted Sunflower Seed and Almond Butter
- 1 tablespoon toasted flax seeds, finely ground in a spice grinder
- Place the kale, cider, sunflower almond butter, flax seeds, and ½ cup of ice in a blender.
- Blend on high until very smooth, 30 seconds.