Mushroom hunters call the golden, lily-shape chanterelle the “queen of the forest” for its earthy but mild flavor. It is an elegant mushroom perfect for flavoring this creamy risotto made with nutty-tasting browned butter. If you can’t find chanterelles, cremini mushrooms make a fine substitute.
- Yield: 4 Servings (1⅓-cup)
- 1 pound chanterelle or cremini mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 to 4½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallots (2 medium)
- 1¼ cups uncooked arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ⅓ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese and/or snipped fresh chives (optional)
- Halve any large mushrooms. In a very large skillet melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Set mushrooms aside.
- In a medium saucepan bring broth to boiling; reduce heat to maintain simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add shallots; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add rice and thyme; increase heat to medium. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add wine; cook and stir about 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed. Add about 1 cup broth; stir until almost all of the broth is absorbed. Continue cooking and adding broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring until almost all the broth is absorbed before adding more, until the rice is halfway cooked, about 10 minutes. Measure ½ cup of the mushrooms and set aside; stir the remaining mushrooms into the rice mixture. Continue adding broth and cooking until rice is tender but still firm to the bite and risotto is creamy, 10 to 12 minutes more. Stir in the ⅓ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, the 1 tablespoon chives, and the parsley. If desired, season with additional salt and pepper.
- Divide risotto among 4 serving bowls. Top with the reserved mushrooms. If desired, sprinkle with additional Pecorino Romano cheese and/or chives.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.