This gorgeous vegetarian torte makes an impressive company dish for a casual, late-summer dinner party. Serve it with a big platter of arugula drizzled with olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper and sprinkled with a few shards of Parmesan cheese.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) tube refrigerated cooked polenta, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 medium red, green, and/or yellow sweet peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 fresh portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 large eggplant, bias-sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 medium zucchini, bias-sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, bias-sliced ¼ inch thick
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1½ cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese (6 ounces)
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup halved pear, grape, or cherry tomatoes Basil leaves (optional)
- In a small saucepan heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat until fragrant and garlic is translucent but not browned; remove from heat and set aside.
- Place polenta, sweet peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, and summer squash on large baking sheets. Brush polenta and vegetables generously with the garlic oil. Season with salt and pepper. For a charcoal or gas grill, place polenta slices on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until polenta is lightly browned and heated through, using a metal spatula to carefully turn slices. Grill vegetables directly over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until tender, turning once. (Grill in batches, if necessary.) Remove from heat and let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, slice mushrooms.
- In a 9-inch springform pan layer grilled vegetables and polenta, starting with eggplant. Sprinkle some of the cheese and a few basil leaves over each layer. Press to compact the layers. Top with tomatoes, more basil leaves, and the remaining cheese. Place torte in a foil pan or wrap the outside of the pan with a double layer of foil. Grill torte over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes. Remove outer ring of springform pan. Use a sharp serrated knife to cut into wedges. If desired, garnish slices with additional basil leaves.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.