Black-eyed peas and peanut butter may sound like an unusual combination unless, of course, you’re like me and just adore peanut butter. But this dish seems to have many fans among those who have tried it. You can vary the vegetables and the greens you add to suit your own tastes, making this a very versatile dish that can be made largely with pantry and freezer ingredients.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 2½ cups water
- 2 cups frozen Swiss chard
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup peanut butter
- In the Instant Pot, combine the water, Swiss chard, onions, tomatoes, black-eyed peas, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the peanut butter to the top of the mixture; do not stir in. Be sure that everything, including the peanut butter, is submerged under the liquid. (This is to prevent the peanut butter from sticking to the pot and burning.)
- Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select manual and set the pot at high pressure for 15 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Stir thoroughly before serving.