Sweet coconut meets sour lime in this blond, moist and exotic slice. It’s like a little trip to the tropics and it will satisfy your cravings for sweets.
- Yield: 24 squares
- 1 lb (450 g) softened butter
- 18 oz (500 g) sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 6 finely grated limes zest
- 6 free-range eggs
- 18 oz (500 g) flour
- 7 oz (200 g) coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Malibu liqueur (optional)
- 4½ oz (125 g) softened butter
- 14 oz (400 g) icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 4 finely grated limes zest and juice
- 7 oz (200 g) cream cheese
- lemon and lime zest to garnish
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas 4).
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar together until creamy. Add the grated lime zest and the eggs one at a time.
- Mix together the flour, coconut flakes, baking powder and salt and fold it into the batter.
- Flavour with the liqueur if you are using it.
- Place baking parchment on the bottom of a baking tin and fill the tin with the batter.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for around 25 minutes.
- Let the cake cool while you mix the frosting Icing
- Beat together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla sugar, grated lime zest, lime juice and cream cheese until creamy.
- Spread the frosting on the cake and cut it into oblong pieces.
- Sprinkle with lemon and lime zest before serving.