- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2–4 cups (500 ml–1 L) canola oil
- 3¾ cups (925 ml) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
- 1 large watermelon
How to Make It
- In a large, heavy pan, such as a cast-iron frying pan, heat ½ in (1 cm) oil to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3½ cups (830 ml) flour, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs and cream, and stir to form a soft dough.
- Spread remainder of flour on work surface. Roll dough out to about ¼ in (6 mm) thick. Cut into strips about 2 in (5 cm) wide by 4 in (10 cm) long, and stab a slit into each slice.
- In hot oil, fry each slice until golden on one side, about 2 minutes, then flip and achieve goldenness on the other side. Drain on paper towels, then serve hot with thick slices of cold watermelon.