Never discard your bacon fat the slightly smoky, porky taste of the fat makes peanut butter taste peanut-butterier. Bacon fat is not substantially different, calorically, from butter, though if you have high cholesterol or are trying to cut back on your sodium, make this a special-occasion cookie.
- Yield: 2 dozen
- ½ cup (125 ml) bacon fat
- ½ cup (125 ml) peanut butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ (375 ml) cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, cream bacon fat, peanut butter, and sugar so that color of mixture lightens and texture becomes creamy. Once it’s there, add egg, and keep beating.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine well, then slowly add to peanut butter mixture, beating until all ingredients are combined well.
- Roll dough into balls about 1 in (2.5 cm) in diameter. Place about 1 in apart on a cookie sheet, and press tops down with a fork dipped in granulated sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, and cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack before eating.