Stalls selling freshly roasted, sweet glazed nuts can be found on many street corners in new York city. with this recipe, you can recreate the delicious treat in a healthier way. This version is pretty authentic, using ground almonds/almond meal in place of white sugar to give them that classic slightly gritty texture.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2½ cups (350 g) mixed nuts, eg. almonds, peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts, soy nuts
- 2 tablespoons xylitol or stevia, or other granulated sweetener
- ½ teaspoon arrowroot or cornflour/cornstarch
- ½ cup (50 g) ground almonds/almond meal
- baking sheet, lined with foil
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C (400˚F) Gas 6.
- Put the coconut oil in a medium saucepan and heat until melted. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes, then stir in the agave syrup and nutmeg.
- Add the nuts to the saucepan and toss to coat well in the liquid. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to a bowl. Reserve the remaining liquid in the pan for later.
- Put the sweetener and arrowroot or cornflour/cornstarch in a high-speed blender and blitz until finely ground. Combine this with the ground almonds/almond meal, then tip into the bowl of nuts. Mix well, to coat, then transfer the nuts to the prepared baking sheet. Pour the reserved liquid over the nuts and toss them.
- Roast the nuts in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.