- Yield: 12 to 14
For the Quick Pickled Cucumber
- ½ cucumber, washed and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster/granulated sugar
- 1 star anise, bruised
For the Steamed Buns
- 3⅔ cups (500 g) strong white bread flour
- 2 tablespoons caster/superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons (7 g) fast-acting dried yeast
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup (145 ml) lukewarm water
- ⅔ cup (145 ml) soy milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- vegetable oil, for greasing and brushing
For the Filling
- 20 oz (1 x 565 g) can green jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 4–5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 oz (1 x 60 g) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2–3 tablespoons caster/granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
How to Make It
- To make the quick pickled cucumber, add all the ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the steamed buns, except the vegetable oil. Knead well using a machine fitted with a dough hook or by hand until it all comes together to make a smooth dough. Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm/plastic wrap. Leave to rest for about 1 hour in a warm place, until doubled in size.
- Remove the dough and roll into a giant sausage shape. Divide into approximately 12–14 portions and roll into balls. Using a rolling pin, flatten each ball into an oval. Brush with oil, fold the oval gently in half and place on a well-oiled baking sheet. Rest the buns in a warm place for 30 minutes until risen again.
- Prepare the steamer by placing greaseproof paper on the layers and lightly oiling. Put the steamer over a pan of water and bring to the boil. Gently place the buns into the steamer, evenly spaced, and steam for 15–20 minutes. The buns will rise and have a slight bounce when prodded. Set aside.
- To make the filling, place all the ingredients in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Cook gently on a low heat for 20–25 minutes until the jackfruit is completely softened. Add a splash of water if the mixture is too dry – it should be soft and sticky-looking. Use a wooden spoon to break up the jackfruit. Fill the buns with a layer of pickled cucumber, a spoonful of jackfruit mixture, spring onion/scallion, coriander/cilantro and a sprinkle of peanuts, if using.