- Yield: 2 to 3 Servings
For the Cashew “Cream Cheese”
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 2 scallions
- 1 garlic clove
- 3–4 sprigs oregano
- 4–5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of Fleur de Sel
For the Balls
- 4–5 Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds (optional)
How to Make It
- Cover the cashews with cold water and soak overnight.
- Pour the nuts into a sieve and let drain. Slice the scallions into thin rings. Peel the garlic. Pick and chop the oregano leaves.
- Place all the ingredients, except for the onion powder and oregano, into a blender. Process until thick and creamy. If the ingredients are very hard to blend, add a bit of water, as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Stir in the onion powder and the oregano. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until firm.
- Remove the outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts. Using a grater or knife, shred the sprouts finely. (If you use a food processor, they will be shredded too finely.) Add the shredded sprouts to the cashew mixture, and combine well. Form the mixture into bite-size balls. To ensure that the balls are easy to form, don’t add all the shredded Brussels sprouts in one go. If using sesame seeds, place them in a frying pan without any fat, and toast them until they are golden brown.
- Roll the balls in the sesame seeds and place them side by side in a shallow dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until they are firm.