- Yield: 1 jar
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- 2–3 young coconuts
- 1 packet of kefir starter culture
How to Make It
- Using a large, heavy knife, hack around the pointed ends of the coconuts and break off the lids. Pour the coconut water into a measuring cup, measuring 2 cups. Save any extra coconut water to use in another recipe.
- Using a tablespoon, scrape the soft coconut meat from the inside shells and set aside. Pour the coconut water through a fine-meshed sieve into a pan. Slowly heat the water over low to medium heat until it is lukewarm. Add the kefir starter culture, and, using a wire whisk, mix everything together well.
- Place the coconut meat and coconut water into a blender or food processor, and purée.
- Pour the mixture into a jar that has been sterilized with boiling water. Cover it with a towel, and leave the mixture in a warm place for at least 24 hours. The longer the now tart-tasting yogurt rests, the tarter and firmer it will be. Stir well once then refrigerate. Kept cold, it will keep for about 1 week.