- Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
- 6 small zucchini, trimmed and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs of your choice (oregano, basil, parsley, chives)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander over a bowl, sprinkle with salt, and allow to drain for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil and butter together in a Lodge 5-quart cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add the onions and garlic, and cook, stirring a few times, until the onions are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Dry the zucchini on paper towels, and add to the onion mixture. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes. Add the stock, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot. Let the soup cool a little. Stir in the herbs and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reheat and serve.