- Yield: 30 Servings
- Two ¼- ounce packages active dry yeast
- ½ cup lukewarm milk
- 5 cups all- purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 1½ to 2 pounds walnuts, ground
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
How to Make It
- To prepare the pastry, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk (105° to 115°F) in a small bowl. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two knives. Add the yeast mixture, egg yolks, and sour cream. Knead slightly until smooth. Form into a large ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- To prepare the filling, combine the butter and milk in a small saucepan. Heat until the butter melts. Combine the ground walnuts and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the butter mixture and vanilla; mix well.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal balls. Lightly sprinkle fl our over a large, flat surface. With a rolling pin, roll out each ball into a large rectangle, about 10 × 12 inches.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the filling down the middle of each rectangle. Roll the dough and pinch the seams and ends. Transfer the rolls to a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Cut into 2- inch slices to serve.