According to the Daily Telegraph, in 2013 Buckingham Palace had a major issue on its hands. Mysteriously the Queen’s Bombay mix was slowly disappearing. Disgruntled, our glorious leader decided to take matters into her own hands and keep a closer eye on her snacks.
Ma’am, this recipe is dedicated to you. Please treat it as a back-up when you notice your supplies are reaching perilously low levels.
- Yield: 500 g
- 500 g unsalted mixed nuts (e.g. cashews, walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios)
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chickpea (gram) flour
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas 2 and line two baking trays with foil or baking paper.
- Place the nuts in a large mixing bowl, add the oil and mix so that the nuts are well coated. Put the rest of the ingredients into another bowl and mix together. Then add the dry ingredients to the nuts and combine thoroughly.
- Spread the nuts out over the two trays and bake for 30 minutes, shuffling the nuts halfway through to make sure they cook evenly.
- Take the nuts out of the oven and leave to cool. One can eat them all by one’s royal self, share with the rest of the household or, when completely cool, put in some Tupperware to eat within a few weeks.