This is a great treat at anytime. Not too sweet tasting and a little spicy. The apple pieces make a moist and delicious addition.
- Yield: 2 dozen
- 0.33 cup (80 ml) plus 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (225 g) packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (40 g) unsulfured molasses
- 2 cups (250 g) Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon (4.6 g) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (13.8 g) baking soda
- 2½ teaspoons (4.5 g) ground ginger
- ¾ cup (180 ml) apple juice
- 2 medium apples, chopped into small pieces
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4)
- Mix the oil, brown sugar, and molasses. Add the flour and next 3 ingredients (through ginger) and mix to combine. With mixer on low, slowly add the apple juice. Th e dough should be smooth, like cake dough. Stir in the apple pieces.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden around the edges. Cool completely and cut into squares.