This delicate shrimp salad can be thrown together in minutes for a light first course for a luncheon or summer dinner party. The ketchup here acts as the base for a tart, creamy, and slightly sweet dressing.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime juice (about 2 tablespoons)
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 4 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 cups cooked baby shrimp or rock shrimp
- 16 pieces baby romaine or Gem lettuce, small leaves only, washed and dried
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
How to Make It
- Halve and pit the avocado and scrape into a food processor. Add the lime juice, ½ cup of the cilantro leaves, and salt to taste. Process until smooth and spoon in the bottom of 4 rocks glasses or other small glasses
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the crème fraîche, ketchup, and horseradish. Stir in the chives. Add the shrimp and toss to coat with the sauce. Spoon into the glasses, over the avocado mixture. Stick the lettuce on the edges and sprinkle the top with the remaining cilantro and the onion.