You usually only see these kinds of decadent French toast recipes if you go out to Sunday brunch. I love making this as my “special occasion breakfast,” when my husband gets back from a business trip or my in-laws come to visit. It’s simple to make, but impressive.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- 12 (1-inch-thick) slices baguette
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 bananas, sliced
- ½ lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Arrange the baguette slices over the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Drizzle over the baguette slices, making sure to cover each slice completely with the egg mixture.
- Put the banana slices in a medium bowl. Drizzle with the lemon juice and toss to coat. Place the banana slices on top of the baguettes in the slow cooker. Drizzle with the melted butter. Cover and cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours or on High for 2 to 3 hours, or until cooked through. Cooking times will vary with different slow cookers, so begin to check your slow cooker at the 3-hour mark on Low and the 1½-hour mark on High and cook just until the bread begins to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Drizzle lightly with maple syrup, if desired, and serve.