- Yield: 6 cups
- Cooking Time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 medium beets
- 1 cup tahini
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Toasted sliced almonds, crumbled feta, dukka, thinly sliced scallions and sliced
- watermelon radishes, for garnish
- Pita chips, radishes, baby fennel and carrots, for serving
How to Make It
- In a medium bowl, cover the dried chickpeas with 2 inches of water and stir in 1 teaspoon of the baking soda. Refrigerate the chickpeas overnight. Drain the chickpeas, then rinse them under cold water.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Wrap the 3 medium beets loosely in foil and set them on a baking sheet. Roast at 425° for 1 hour, or until tender. Let cool, then peel and chop.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the chickpeas with 2 inches of fresh water. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of baking soda and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat for about 1 hour, until the chickpeas are very tender. Drain, reserving ¾ cup of the cooking water. Rinse under cold water.
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas with ½ cup of the reserved cooking water. Add beets, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and ground cumin; season with salt and puree until creamy (add more cooking water if necessary). Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with toasted almonds, crumbled feta, dukka, thinly sliced scallions and sliced watermelon radishes. Serve with pita chips, whole radishes, fennel and carrots.