This can be prepared in advance and frozen. There are several curry recipes that are using curry paste and I decided to take the curry paste recipe out and have it separately. So, when you see that the recipe is using curry paste, please go to this part of the book and prepare it from scratch or defrost of you have it frozen. Don’t use processed curry pastes or curry powder; make it every time from scratch. Keep the spices in original form (seeds, pods), ground them just before making the curry paste. You can dry heat in the skillet cloves, cardamom, cumin and coriander and then crush them coarsely with mortar and pestle.
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 (2 inch) pieces cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry onions until transparent. Stir in garlic, cumin, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, coriander, salt, cayenne, and turmeric.
- Cook for 1 minute over medium heat, stirring constantly. At this point other curry ingredients should be added or let cook and freeze.