Some recipes (chili) require tomato paste. I usually prepare 20 or so liters at once (when tomato is in season, which is usually September) and freeze it.
- 5 lbs chopped plum tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tbsp.
- salt, to taste
How to Make It
- Heat ¼ cup of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes. Season with salt. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until very soft, about 8 minutes.
- Pass the tomatoes through the finest plate of a food mill. Push as much of the pulp through the sieve as possible and leave the seeds behind.
- Cook in slow cooker for 4 hours on low.
- Store sealed in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month, or freeze, for up to 6 months.