- Yield: 24
- Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- 5 cups cake flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
How to Make It
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Scoop the dough using a ¼-cup measuring cup and place 2 inches apart on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375°F, rotating once, until the edges begin to brown, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, ⅓ cup boiling water, and the lemon juice until smooth. Divide the mixture between 2 heatproof bowls. Set one bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water; add the chocolate and corn syrup and stir until melted. On each cookie, spread half the flat side with white frosting and half with chocolate frosting. Let the cookies set, about 10 minutes.