- Yield: 25 cookies
- 3 cups (360 g) whole spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground star anise
- 1 cup (120 g) coconut sugar
- ¾ cup (190 g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 organic grated lemons zest
- ½ cup (75 g) dried blueberries
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 325°F / 170°C. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and ground star anise.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut sugar, applesauce, coconut oil, and lemon zest.
- Stir the sugar mixture into the flour mixture. Add the dried blueberries and finish mixing with your hands.
- With floured hands, shape the dough into three 3-inch- / 7.5 cm-wide “logs,” each about ¾ inch / 2 cm thick, with the ends squared off. Place the logs on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake the logs for 25 to 30 minutes, until the edges are golden and the bottom is beginning to brown.
- Remove the logs from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Then, using a sharp knife, cut them into ¾-inch- / 2 cm-wide slices. Arrange the slices, cut side down, on the cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 5 to 10 minutes, until golden. Turn the slices over and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more, until golden.
- Cool the cookies on wire racks, and then store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.