Broccoli has long been maligned, but here’s a way to make it sexy: sauté it in olive oil until bright green and tender, then mix with sliced green onions, feta crumbles, and plenty of salt and pepper. It’s on the table in 10 minutes and pairs with main dishes both humble and elegant. Or toss it atop a whole grain with toasted almonds, a drizzle of Creamy Cashew Sauce, and lemon zest for a tasty bowl lunch.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 large heads broccoli (about 1½ pounds)
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese
- Chop the broccoli into florets. Thinly slice the green onions.
- In a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the broccoli florets and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the green onions, kosher salt, and black pepper. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, until crisp-tender but still bright green.
- Remove the broccoli to a bowl. Top with feta crumbles and additional black pepper or kosher salt to taste. Serve immediately.
- V* For vegan, omit the feta cheese.