This salad makes us think about leaves falling, whipping out a scarf for the first time, and the occasional burst of sunshine. The fruit, nuts, cheese, and vegetables play off one another, creating balance and surprise in every bite.
- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- ¾ CUP SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE
- 1 CRISP APPLE, THINLY SLICED
- 1 SHALLOT, THINLY SLICED
- 4 CUPS BRUSSELS SPROUTS (ABOUT 1½ POUNDS)
- 2 PARSNIPS, PEELED
- FINE SEA SALT
- ¼ CUP HAZELNUTS, TOASTED AND COARSELY
- 2 TABLESPOONS CHOPPED FRESH FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY
- ½ CUP SHAVED MANCHEGO OR PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO
How to Make It
- ❶ Make the shallot vinaigrette.
- ❷ Place the sliced apple and shallot together in a bowl of cold water. Set aside while you prepare the other salad ingredients.
- ❸ Trim the stems off the Brussels sprouts and discard any outer leaves that fall away in the process. Using a sharp knife, a mandoline, or the shredding blade of a food processor, slice the sprouts as thinly as possible and place in a large bowl.
- ❹ Peel the parsnips. Using the peeler, shave the parsnips into long, thin ribbons and add to the Brussels sprouts.
- ❺ Drizzle the vinaigrette over the Brussels sprouts and parsnip ribbons and toss with your hands to coat. Season with salt to taste.