- ¼ cup (50 g) butter or ghee
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 curry leaves
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 cloves
- ½ small cinnamon stick
- 2½ cups (500 g) uncooked Basmati or other long-grained rice, washed
- 3 cups (750 ml) Chicken Stock
- ½ teaspoon salt 1 small potato, peeled and sliced into matchsticks, then deep-fried
- 1 tablespoon roasted cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon sultanas
How to Make It
- Heat the butter and fry half the onion until golden. Add the curry leaves, spices and rice. Fry over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring continuously, then add the stock, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, fry the remaining onion and set aside to be used as garnish.
- When the rice is cooked, remove the spices, place the rice on a platter and garnish with fried potato matchsticks, roasted cashews, sultanas, and reserved fried onions.