- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken (2 lbs/1 kg), cut into serving pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb (500 g) ripe tomatoes, diced or one 14-oz (400-g) can whole peeled tomatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½-1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1½ cups (375 ml) water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup (125 g) pimentos, drained or 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and lightly brown the chicken. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the garlic and stir-fry until golden brown, then stir-fry the onion until translucent. Return the chicken to the saucepan, add the tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, pepper and water, and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes, then add the pimentos and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.