- Yield: 4 Servings
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 slices white bread, crusts removed, cut into ½-inch/1-cm cubes
- 1 large egg
- 2 romaine lettuces or 3 Boston lettuces
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 8 canned anchovy fillets, drained and coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup fresh Parmesan cheese shavings
How to Make It
- Bring a small, heavy-bottom pan of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil in a heavy-bottom skillet. Add the garlic and cubed bread and cook, stirring and tossing frequently, for 4–5 minutes, or until the bread is crispy and golden all over. Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the egg to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Arrange the salad greens in a salad bowl. Mix the remaining olive oil and lemon juice together, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Crack the egg into the dressing and whisk to blend. Pour the dressing over the salad greens, toss well, then add the croutons and chopped anchovies and toss the salad again. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese shavings and serve.