Cherry and grape tomatoes are actually worth eating in winter, so this dish can help quench your cravings until the summertime slicers are back. If you have time, let this salad sit at room temperature for up to 15 minutes to release some of the juice from the tomatoes and create a deeply flavored mahogany-colored glaze.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to tast
- Pinch sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved crosswise
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil (preferably Thai)
- Combine the soy sauce, sugar, and oil in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes and basil and sprinkle liberally with pepper. Stir gently to coat the tomatoes with the dressing.
- Let stand at room temperature for up to 15 minutes, stirring once or twice. Taste, add more soy sauce and pepper if you like, and serve. BALSAMIC CHERRY TOMATO SALAD
- Use balsamic vinegar — white or dark, as you like — instead of the soy sauce. Substitute 1 tablespoon olive oil for the sesame oil. For the herb, try basil, parsley, or chives.