Fluffy and soft on the inside, crisp and golden on the outside. That’s what we’ve come to expect from our donuts, and that’s what we worked toward when creating this recipe. No twists, no surprises. Our vegan donuts are coated with a classic chocolate glaze and sprinkled with coconut flakes.
- Yield: 8 donuts
- ½ cup (125 g) plant-based milk (e.g., coconut rice milk)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar (make sure it’s vegan!)
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- oil for frying
- ⅓ cup (60 g) chocolate chips or baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- Heat the plant-based milk and coconut oil in a small pot until the coconut oil is melted, then let it cool down to room temperature (it shouldn’t feel too warm). If the mixture is too hot, you’ll kill the yeast and the dough will not rise.
- Combine the flour, sugar, and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl, then add the cooled oil and milk mixture. Combine and knead (or let a stand mixer with a dough hook knead it) until a smooth dough forms. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 1 to 2 hours until the dough doubles in size.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface to about ½-inch thickness. Use a glass to cut out the donuts and a glass bottle opening to cut out the donut hole.
- Heat your frying oil to 350°F/175°C: You can use a deep-fryer if you have one or a pot filled with just enough oil so that the donuts can swim in it. Make sure not to add too much oil in the pot because the oil will rise and you don’t want an accident to happen. Fry the donuts on each side until golden brown.
- Transfer the donuts to a paper towel to remove excess oil. Let them cool off before applying the chocolate glaze. For Glaze and Toppings
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Dip each donut into the chocolate glaze, sprinkle with coconut flakes, and let them cool off until the chocolate has set.