Easy peasy though this is, I have to confess I am tempted just to dip the pains au chocolat in the custard and save myself the washing up but that’s for those “home-alone” evenings. This has the potential to impress, so go the whole hog and switch the oven on.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- unsalted butter, for greasing
- 6 pains au chocolate
- 500 g best-quality vanilla custard
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) whole milk
- Lightly butter an oven dish, then lay the pains au chocolat in the dish.
- Mix the custard and milk together, and pour over the pains au chocolat. Leave for 30 minutes for the custard to soak into the pains au chocolat.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F/Gas 3). Put the dish in a deep baking tray and fill the tray with hot water until the water reaches to halfway up the dish. (Don’t splash any water in the pudding.)
- Bake for 30–35 minutes. Leave to settle for 10 minutes, then serve.