- Yield: 8 Servings
- ½ (14.1-oz) package refrigerated piecrusts
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1⅓ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp sweetened flaked coconut
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 450°. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Set piecrust aside on a wire rack while preparing filling. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot milk mixture into yolks; add yolk mixture to remaining hot milk mixture, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and add butter and vanilla, stirring until butter melts. Stir in 1⅓ cups coconut. Cover and keep warm.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add ½ cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. coconut in bottom of piecrust. Pour hot filling over coconut. Spread meringue over filling, sealing edges.
- Bake at 325° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let pie cool completely on a wire rack.