- Yield: 5 jars (8½ fl oz (250 ml) each)
- Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
- 250 g (9 oz) shallots
- 2 lb 3 oz (1 kg) quinces
- 1 lb 2 oz (500 g) ripe apricots
- 1–2 chili peppers
- 2 sprigs savory (lemon savory is especially delicious) or lemon balm
- 2 teaspoons juniper berries
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
How to Make It
- Peel the shallots, cut in half, and dice. Quarter the unpeeled quinces, remove the core, and dice finely. Cut the apricots in half, remove the stones, and slice. Cut the chili peppers into rings. Pick the savory from the stems and chop. Crush or coarsely chop the juniper berries.
- Combine the prepared fruit, chilies, savory, juniper berries, mustard seeds, cinnamon stick, and shallots in a large pot along with the sugar and salt. Let sit for one hour, then cover and cook for 25 minutes over low heat.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the lid shortly before the end of the cooking time. If necessary, cook down like jam over medium to high heat. Fill sterilized canning jars.